Monday, March 29, 2010

The Ultimate End

Death seems like a pretty gloomy topic to write about but it's in the air right now.

  • I just finished reading 'The Book thief" Kav's favourite book ,which is narrated by it. Did I just write 'it'?? That sounded strange! TO rephrase, it was narrated by a personified figure, Death.(Not like the Discworld figure, with the scythe, skeleton and cloak: it was a more vague figure, actually, I don't recall even a single description of his appearance. But this is completely irrelevant. Moving on)

  • Our play yesterday for the easter program was all about it, about how death finds everyone. (It went off great! And it was an original Manipal EU production, that's enough.)

  • Also, there was an accident on Saturday. A boy from Section H drowned off St Mary's Island. His name was Rahul Ranjan. I haven't talked to him, nor did I even know he existed. It's jolting, though. It's the third accidental death in college in two months(the other two being road accidents). The point is, though, that this makes me see that death is not exclusively the prerogative of old people. This probably sounds rather heartless, but when I hear of Appacha and Ammachi's friends passing on, it doesn't really touch me. I do feel sad, in a way, of course, but it just seems normal somehow. I don't think I've even seen a dead body up close, not since Appacha's death when I was seven. And I can't remember that. I haven't even been to a funeral since then. As young people, we just don't stop to think, do we? But I really can die tomorrow, if it's in God's plan for me. Death makes everyone so serious somehow. I'm thinking of the memorial service in the quadrangle in break today as an example. It makes you sad. And pardon the self centredness, but it does make you think of what would happen if you died too.Hmm....this is becomin gloooomy. Let's move onto a better topic.

  • Easter Week. Sounds like the gloomiest bit of all. It's not though. The great thing about Good Friday and Easter is that it's good. We celebrate! The saddest death of all turns about to be the best news ever.

And that just about wraps up the entire thing about death for me.

Gloom to Gladness

No comments:

Post a Comment