Tuesday, November 30, 2010

If I had to die for someone

If I had to die for someone
Could I die for someone?

Being a hero is something absolutely everyone wants to be. At least as a child. I think that growing older dispels a lot of illusions.

Whenever I read books, I form a sort of mental picture of what is happening, and I think I'm usually in the picture, even if I'm not (mentally) the protagonist. I think when I was a kid, the boundaries between me and the protagonist were not clearly defined. In my head, I was me and the protagonist as well. Now, I can say to myself when I'm reading: no, I would not do that, I wouldn't react like this.

Anyway, getting off the point! The point was that, then, having fantastic adventures and doing the most daring things didn't seem too much. I also didn't care much about wearing seatbelts, bandaids, looking both ways when crossing a road, playing with matches, locking the doors.....all the things mentioned in the song(by Petra, If I had to Die for Someone)

Does growing older make one a coward?! Is it maturity/wisdom to be afraid or is it just becoming a scaredy-cat!
(i wonder...becoming like one of these little ones to enter the kingdom....)

Now I really do wonder whether I would be a hero in a life threatening situation! Maybe I'd just run away and hide! Could I swallow my fear and face torture and pain? Or the shame of having everyone see me shamed! I'm pretty sure I couldn't.
So how could I understand the way you died for me
cause I don't know if I could, even if i think I would
If I had to die for someone
If I had to die for someone else like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment